Thursday, July 25, 2019

MUSLIM STREET, XIAN- WHERE ONE GOES FOR SNACKS OF ALL KINDS

Muslim Street is a place not to be missed when one visits xian. always go with a big appetite because there are just so many kinds of local delicacies to relish in. I went twice when I was in the city, and at different times of the day. both the experiences were definitely interesting because you could see the different kinds of chaos at the different hours. but food was definitely aplenty no matter what time of the day you go. however, the crowd was definitely thinner during the day time. my first visit was at night during dinner time while the second time was in the morning at around 10.

this is the main entrance to the Muslim Street.


signs showing to the great mosque can be seen on the streets. there is one Main Street here and a few side streets. go explore all if you have time. but go in the day time if you want to avoid the crowd and see things more clearly in the light.


it was a wet night when I was there but you can see that the crowd did not care.



I don't really know all the names of the food that I saw when I was there, but the sight of them was enough to make everyone salivate.

if I am not wrong, this is yoghurt drink. mutton products are common. so if you love mutton or beef, you won't be disappointed.


this snack was quite plain in taste. it is sweetened by a coating of sugar.

grilled squid. yummy!!!

beef or mutton stuffed burger is very popular here. at this stall, I joined the long queue and waited for my turn. the way the worker's deft hands chop the meat, pour some gravy which the meat came from and stuff the meat into the bun are actually very fascinating.

oppps, I don't know where the photo of the bun has gone to. sorry. my verdict of the bun, well, the meat was a bit on the dry side and the bun....haiz....it was dry as well.  I wish there was more gravy or sauce soaked by the meat because the bun felt a bit like eating cardboard. I wasn't keen to get a second one after that.

goat trotter.



the beef in this dish was the highlight to me. succulent and juicy to the last piece.

this is the famous bingo biang noodles. it's a kind of thick noodles with quite hard texture, hence its name. not my taste as I am not a noodle lover. only for those die hards who like to eat flour-made rubbery noodles.


dried persimmons. not that cheap.


huge dried dates are worth buying here.



ice-cream.

potato swirls.

dunno what kind of shrimp this is....but I really dunno how to enjoy this because it feels like I am eating more shells than flesh.


xiao long Bao... get the one stuffed with beef. definitely much better than the crab one.

a kind of glutinous rice snack coated with peanuts. the texture is like mochi.

we found some locally grown peaches at a side street green store. the owner said they were just plucked from the farm and were organic. it was big and crunchy and sweet although not really ripe.

another must try food here is the grilled skewered beef. I love the spicy version which is coated with chilli flakes. sorry no photo here, but you definitely won't miss this when you are there.
writing this post makes me hungry all over again.

No comments: