Saturday, April 14, 2007

with or without a boyfriend

a star reader (nazreen, mersing) today posted this by helen fielding (of bridget jones' diary fame) and i can't help from borrowing from her to put up here.
i will not sulk about having no boyfriend, but develp inner poise and authority and sense of self as a woman of substance, complete without boyfriend, as the best way to obtain a boyfriend.

i shared this with a male friend who was wallowing in self-pity about not having the right girlfriend as well and i guess this works for both genders.
this reminds me of a conversation i had with a family friend last week.
as soon as i said 'no', i still did not have any boyfriend, her response was telling me not to put my 'sight' too high. in other words, do not be so choosy.
sigh....does one just accept what comes along just because one is still single at this age??!!! sorry lo but i cannot force myself to do it. the more pressure is given, the more defiant i will get and go against what is expected of me. yeah, such a stubborn idiot you will call me. can't help it, this is me.

11 comments:

KasiaHo said...

you r right. you simply cant and shouldnt be with anyone, just because some people think your time has come. my friends also are telling me: "dont miss your time", "remember you are getting older", etc. well, not everyone is meant to have 3 children and husband. and you know what? many married women are not happy. far too many. let's not rush, let the destiny decide and be happy about the moment we have. our moment. this moment.

Unknown's said...

I am glad to see Kasia writing here. Yeah, I totally agree. There is no rush for a unsuitable marriage (this comes from a married person, ok). My professor said, "marriage is competition." If you marry the wrong person, you are forever in war. So, wait till the day comes...

escape2 said...

so cheers for the moment!!!

Miss Mathew said...

Double thumbs UP!!One must NOT simply say YES to a relationship or rather a guy just because society cannot accept that women in their 30's or coming to 30's are not married and have half a dozen of children...

-ernny- said...

Woot woot! I'm supporting you all the way! :)

mocha said...

do i happen to know this 'male friend' of yours?? haha.. i think i know who la...
anyway, it couldnt be any better for me la... haha... unattached and am enjoying my life... if i dun dive, i play golf... what more do u want.. haha...
as for u, travelling is your passion... u might not get to do all that anymore if u are committed in any way la... haha... so enjoy while u can...!!

Unknown's said...

Can I say something out of topic? Wonder you can remove my link or not (because your blog is too famous...too many people reading the inner me)...not so good lah....
hahaha....(shy shy)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
-ernny- said...

Muahaha,your identity has just been busted by your friend! ;P

escape2 said...

boo hooo hooo...
just deleted the post with my busted identity.
better give some warnings before giving the blog addy.

Ming,
hehe..i think you also know which guy friend i am talking about lah.
i heard your diving trips are all your cari lui trips wor....according to that friend lah. so besides writing the diving log book, i am sure the phone book has got thicker as well.

mocha said...

uh uh!! what identity?? who busted it?? how come i missed that!! dang... haha....

huh?? i havent met any diving chicks worth keeping their numbers yet.... either married or someone else's chick... haha... dun listen to rumours la...haha....