Thursday, June 21, 2007

my shoes and me


You will be wondering if I have a particular fetish for slippers when you see this. What is so significant about this pair of slippers?
Even the wallpaper of my laptop is a photo of my house slippers!
These slippers are my feet savers at home for your information. This particular pair is worn in bidor. Nice eh?
When do I start wearing house slippers and especially these with rubber soles?
It all started more than 2 years ago I guess when the x-ray film showed extra calcium lodged in the sole of my left foot. In medical term, it is called plantar faciitis or layman’s term: heel spur. Went for few months of physiotherapy at the district hospital, advised to stop all strenuous activities on the feet (no running) to rest the feet and change my shoes. Did physio help to dislodge the calcium? No…as soon as I start my jogging again, I can feel the throbbing pain on my sole because the spur is just trying to remind me of its existence.
So no more heels, but all heel-covering pumps and mostly flats now. The reason being? I have to put a piece of gel support for my heel in whatever I am shod in. at home, it is well-supported house slippers and no more running around in bare feet. Oh, how I miss the feeling of running bare footed…the sheer utter freedom of being close to the ground is no longer felt except occasionally when the feet are rested (not jogging for a few days and the feet are well-supported during the day), then only can I walk around a few hours without the gel support or in those strappy high heels. All heels are still in boxes…waiting for what? I dunno. For my heel to get better? Or just waiting to be thrown away. Might give them to my cousin lah if she wants as we have the same size.
It gets quite depressing writing about this but the spur has been with me for more than 2 years now that it has become a part of me. So the next time if you see a piece of gel support in my shoes, you know the reason and don’t have to give me that curious look. Deep down, there is still that vanity to be shod in high-jeweled-decorated heels. Well, one can always rest the feet for a few days and then suffer for that few hours and achieve that exhilaration of being able to strut your stuff. Hehe.

No comments: