Thursday, August 30, 2007

happy independence day

i do not fly the jalur gemilang nor do i have any at home or in my car. nor do i intend to get one just because you told me to.
i do not plant the hibiscus in my house compounds nor do i plan to do so.
i go out of the country for my holidays when i can afford it but i do not mind going to the beautiful beaches and islands in malaysia.
i do not like wearing baju kebaya as i feel it is too stiffening and hot and too covered up. but once in a while, i do not mind the flowy baju kurung when i can just slouch and bend whichever way i want.
i read fashion magazines but i do not look out for local designers' work. instead, i scrutinise works by the international designers and wonder all the time when i can afford to buy their pieces and the coveted 'it' bags. however, i think i do have almost half of my closet filled with clothes from local brands which i usually wear to work. oh, my shoes are usually from local brands.
i feel bitter when i see those who achieved excellent results in public examinations are not given the same chances as those of another race.

but....have i ever thought of leaving?? no. my grandparents who survived the Emergency never instil that urge for us to leave nor my parents. do all my grudges and imperfections make me less malaysian and patriotic than you out there who decorate your car with endless flags hoping others will notice them??
i have heard the now infamous modified 'negaraku' (yo! yo! yo!) and when you asked me, "don't you think the lyrics ring a bell? oh, i hate the situation in the country!" i will just say, if you really hate it, then just leave. why suffer in this country and think of all the so-called unfair treatments while breathing in the air of the soil and taking in everything given to you??

well, this is just my 2 cents...or maybe more than that for this merdeka. happy independence day everyone and may we be blessed with continuous peace and harmony. there is no other country out there which can boast such integrity when there are countless numbers of races and skin colours living on the same soil. going out to see the world does make a difference and you will know how lucky you are if you have gratitude in you. i will always be proud to answer:
i come from malaysia.

3 comments:

BeaLee said...

hahhaha..i like this... email me!!!!

Anonymous said...

erm..tis is really gud..

escape2 said...

thanks. i guess spur of the moment blurtings do help in getting the real thing out. i wish i have my notebook with me 24-7.