Wednesday, May 12, 2010

of racism and honesty

i have been labelled a racist by a colleague at work (where else) and i am very pissed.
i have beed labelled a snob, proud, arrogant, moody, etc before but never this strong word.

i am really offended. and she did not call that name in front of me, she accused me of being a racist in front of my superior. i got to know because my superior told me.

you know at work, we have to do peer evaluation and since i am the head of my department, i am assigned two to evaluate. when i saw those two names, i already moaned. first of all, these two have always had bad track record in their jobs. even if you give them gold, they can turn the final result into trash for you because of their incompetence. and one of them can nag and nag and nag all the time instead of doing what she is supposed to do within the period. everyone at work knows this.

and so i evaluated them. both of their results came out almost the same. their marks are satisfactory and in the middle band. one came to see me begging for more marks. the second (who called me a racist) accepted all the comments i gave when i talked to her after the evaluation.

and now, one week later, she decided to go and complain that i am not fair, i am a racist. she thinks her marks should fall on the good band. haha....i could not believe it.

luckily, my superior has been very supportive and she said she would talk to that colleague of mine and discuss about her weaknesses based on my comments.

well, that colleague of mine can go and ask for a second round of evaluation from someone else lah. i have done the job i have been assigned to do. try as i want to increase her mark, i could not make it go to the good band. sorry lah.

so my dear readers, am i too harsh in giving my evaluation? okok, you guys do not know the whole story.

sigh...am i too strict? am i a snob who thinks no one is better than me? but wait a minute....i gave a colleague of the same race a very good band last year! and my superior asked to see me because of that.....because she could not believe the marks i gave. i justified it and that very good band stayed of course.

let me tell you that lying comes very hard to me. i really don't know how to beat around the bush and lie in your face. i am the type who will shoot directly and i guess in a way, that makes me offend a few lah. i will rather keep quiet than to lie. and i am certainly not a RACIST!

do i need help in polishing my social skills?

6 comments:

BeaLee said...

You are NOT racist!!! what rubbish! I think the racist is that woman for even suggesting it and what a thick face to think she deserves the good band! shame of her!!! Don't you worry and don't it that get into your head! I repeat..you are NOT racist!..hehe I am!

PengPeng彬彬 said...

the problem with people is that a lot of them cannot deal with reality.

just be yourself and i definitely do not think you are racist. you expect highly from your department members but you're definitely not unfair.

tough if they can't take the truth. good mark comes with hard work and they should learn to deal with that. that is how you maintain teachers with high standards.

so well done for being honest !!

qahina said...

I think in school environment it's easy to fall into racist trap because of its clique-ish social circles - plus MAJORITY of govt officers have laidback attitude to their performance at work its frustrating at times - the other day I was telling a friend maybe there should be a racial riot just to shake things up a bit. Everyone is too comfortable in their own elements that they forgot they're totally dependent on each other. So am I racist too? No, but I sure feel that race is an issue that gets in the way of being professional at work. Just be your great self at work - ppl can see who do their job best and who hides behind racial sentiment.

PengPeng彬彬 said...

aiyar this is not my day... i wrote such a long comment and now suddenly it's gone....aisey

bottom line is you're definitely not racist. if they can't handle the truth, then be it. if you want good marks, you've gotta earn it. and that's the example you want to set for your students. you don't demand good grades, you earn them.

it's good that you have high expectations for your department members. shows that you've got standards. and the teachers in your school have got standards because of people like yourself.

so keep up the good work.

PengPeng彬彬 said...

ooops....

escape2 said...

yeah! long live all my friends!!!
aniq, having cliques is not that common here but even if you have cliques, racism card should not be pulled out right.

come to think of it, the person who calls me a racist is a huge racist herself. she has called kids babi and she tells another boy, pergi balik kampung dan kahwin dan jaga lembu.
hint...she is not from our races, bea, peng and aniq.