Monday, May 16, 2011

turning insignicant on 16 may

if the number of gifts i get is the measure of my credibility in doing my job, then i am doomed this year!!!

this year's celebration is the worst!!! ok, i don't do my work for gifts but...... maybe a few more 'thank yous' can come my way gua.

besides getting 3 pens from 1 class and 3 more from quin, these are what i got today:
a card from yi wei, who has left school last year and a hello kitty strap (the cat without a mouth according to the 13-year-old who gave me this). oh, does breakfast from karen count as well??

even mom was speechless when she heard what i got. there was no word to console me. to say i am not disappointed will be a lie.

i only see the 13-year-old once a week. everyday, i see 15-year-olds and 17-year-olds. i answer smses when they have questions. i give ideas and suggestions when i am asked (and sometimes when i am not asked ;p). i care about their well-being. i advise when my advice is needed and when it is not needed. gosh, i am so nosy. i give 100% in my job but sometimes it can go more than 100% and also sometimes it can go slightly lower than that but not less than 80%.

and these are all i get???

of course, there are the wishes and greetings and almost all are from those who have left school. let me count ah.
DARVIT!!! there are only 8 from ex-kids!!! the rest are all from colleagues because i sent a mass message to everyone!!! sob sob sob!!! and of course there are also a handful (2 hands only ah) on fb....oh how miserable.

but .....one looong mail from yeelyn in aussie made my day and it affirmed that whatever i have been doing is along the right path. in the end, what i need is not gift but just affirmation i guess.

well, i am not good at expressing myself nor am i the expressive type, so i have no right to demand anymore from others.

i would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has been a teacher in my life- be it in the formal position or not. and not forgetting the kids too. i do learn from them. without them, i won't be who i am today. everyday i learn something new about how to do my job. my only fear is not being able to contribute in a good way.

so happy teacher's day to all.

got lots of compliments in this kebaya. i guess pink is my colour huh?

it had been a tiring day instead of a fun one. had been running around arranging photo session and making sure all the photographers were doing their jobs capturing the moments. no games for us today. it was farewell and welcome to the leaving and coming bosses.

when i reached home in the afternoon, i had a headache and was in the mood to swear. yeah, to burst out in expletives! it was the exhaustion. managed to calm myself down and delete all those expletives out of the head ;)

anyway, like this quote sent by a colleague:
a teacher is like a candle, illuminating her students' lives while gradually making herself insignificant.

i guess as i enter the 10th year (18 june is the anniversary!!!), my candle is already shorter and come next year, i might be translucent.

2 comments:

Kok Wai Mooi said...

Well well well don't be let down or be disappointed gal !I understand how u feel for I've felt the same before. Secondary students r less appreciative n expressive than their primary juniors . Just be the candle u've always been n I'm sure u'll be rewarded accordingly as mentioned by our Prime Minister yesterday. I m very positive that u will be elevated to the post of Guru Wibawa (Super teacher) or Pendeta guru (exemplary teacher)before u retire n that will be a big windfall 4 u.
Cheer up !

Anonymous said...

Love your kebaya....looks great!

Leng Yee